Saturday, March 5, 2011

Experiments with Color


These two sketches are something new I'm trying with a color outline. As much as I like a good, thick black outline with some proper weight to it, I also like to switch it up once in a while. Of course achieving this means drawing the darker color outline first, then adding the lighter shades of hues.
Now working with markers (Berol-Prismacolor, old Design Markers and Sharpies) when you do this the light colors are going to run and bleed from the darker outline, even if using marker paper.
From working with xerox copies of my artwork when coloring them, I know that mostly the black ink will not run...most times. So I got the idea of coloring the outline using the appropriate colors, then making a copy of it, then finish the copy with the lighter hues.



For my first experiments with this method I used an old sketch of Muttley I did a copy years ago and a Harvey Eisenberg inspired drawing of Huckleberry Hound.
Here are the end results. I would love to hear what you think.

1 comment:

dylanio21 said...

They both look fantastic!
I'd love to see you try...hmm...Green Lantern Hal Jordan.